Connecticut River Museum
67 Main Street, Essex, CT 06426
The Connecticut River Foundation at Steamboat Dock was established in 1974 as a small, all-volunteer organization dedicated to the dream of establishing a museum that would preserve the history of the Connecticut River and its people. The purchase of the 1878 Steamboat Warehouse building, docks and surrounding property was the beginning of that dream becoming a reality. Today, the Connecticut River Museum is a private, not-for-profit, education institution that is fully accredited by the American Association of Museums and is a member of the Council of American Maritime Museums and the International Congress of Maritime Museums. In 2012, the Museum expanded its ability to tell the stories of the Connecticut River and its people through the purchase of the historic Samuel Lay House, which adjoins the Museum campus.
Contact: Chris Dobbs